PPIC Statewide Survey: Californians and Their Government
This is the 38th PPIC Statewide Survey and the 14th in a series of large-scale public opinion polls that PPIC is conducting on a periodic basis throughout California’s election cycles. The purpose of this series is to develop an objective, in-depth profile of the social, economic, and political forces affecting public policy preferences and ballot choices in California.
Some findings of the current survey:
- 72% of likely voters say they disapprove of the way Governor Gray Davis is handling his job.
- 58% of likely voters say they would vote to remove Davis as governor in the special recall election on October 7th.
- 68% of likely voters disapprove of the state legislature’s overall performance, and 78% disapprove of the way the lawmakers have handled budget and tax issues.
- 74% of likely voters say California is headed in the wrong direction.
- 58% of Californians believe their region of the state is still in an economic recession.