This survey ” the third in an annual series of PPIC surveys of Orange County ” is a special edition of the PPIC Statewide Survey, which periodically includes regional and special-theme surveys. The intent of the current survey is to provide timely, accurate, and objective information about policy preferences and economic, social, and political trends in Orange County.
Some of the findings
- Orange County residents are considerably more optimistic than Californians as a whole: 50% say California is headed in the right direction, compared to 32% of residents statewide; 56% of county residents anticipate California will see good financial times in the next year, compared to 39% of all Californians.
- Orange County’s consumer confidence index stands at 97, surpassing the national index of 90.
- Nearly all county residents (90%) believe that things are going well for the quality of life in Orange County.
- Most homeowners (86%) say that buying a home in the county is an excellent or good investment.
- By more than a two-to-one margin (55% to 25%), Orange County residents approve of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s plans and policies for the future.
- If the 2004 presidential election were held today, county residents would vote to re-elect George Bush rather than any Democratic nominee (46% to 34%). Statewide numbers are nearly the reverse (46% for a Democrat, 37% for Bush).