Some findings of the survey
- Orange County residents are overwhelmingly upbeat about the county’s quality of life: Most (90%) say things are going well today. Majorities say their parks and beaches (84%), freeways and roads (64%), and schools (64%) are excellent or good. Over two-thirds of the county’s residents (69%) rate the local economy as excellent or good.
- Virtually all county homeowners (98%) say they are satisfied with the homes they live in, and most (80%) are very satisfied.
- In the recent presidential election, heavily Republican Orange County gave the nod to Bush (60%) over Kerry (39%).
- County residents give the Republican governor sky-high marks: 68% say they approve of Schwarzenegger’s job performance (7 points higher than his statewide standing).
- Orange County residents (62%) are also substantially more likely than Californians as a whole (44%) to say the state is going in the right direction.
This survey is a special edition of the PPIC Statewide Survey, which periodically includes regional and special-theme surveys. The intent of the current survey is to provide timely, accurate, and objective information about policy preferences and economic, social, and political trends in Orange County.